Kaddu ka Halwa | Pethey ka Halwa | Pumpkin Halwa

I am a big pumpkin fan since my childhood days. Seriously, I love this vegetable in any form and the khatti meethi pethey ki sabzi is my absolute favorite. Coming to the halwa, my mum always used to make it during the Navratri fasting and its flavors, texture and aroma is something that I remember even till date. After I got married, pumpkin was a rare treat for me because none of the family members at my in-laws side liked this vegetable. Gradually, I too stopped making it. But, this time during Navratri, I thought making this divine halwa and remember my good old days. If you too are a pumpkin lover, this is a must for you to try as well. And don't worry, the recipe is very simple and easy and comes together in just few minutes.

Kaddu ka Halwa


INGREDIENTS

  • Kaddu/Yellow Pumpkin/Butternut Squash (shredded) - 4 cups
  • Sugar - 1/2 to 3/4 cup
  • Milk - 1/4 cup
  • Ghee/clarified butter - 4 to 6 tbsp
  • Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
  • Nuts (melon seeds, chopped almonds, chopped pistachios) - 2 to 3 tbsp
  • Saffron strands (optional) - 7 to 8
P.S - Please adjust the sugar as per your own preference; it would also depend on the sweetness of pumpkin that you are using.



Kaddu ka Halwa


You may also try other Navratri Recipes from the blog: Mango Sabudana Kheer, Sabudana Vada, Sabudana Khichdi, Samak ka Pulav, Farali Dhokla, Dahi Masala Aloo, Farali Coconut & Peanut Chutney, Roasted Guava & Mint Chutney


Kaddu ka Halwa


METHOD

  • In a pan, add about 2 tsp of ghee and roast the nuts till nice golden and aromatic. Keep aside.
  • Next, in a kadhai or a pan, add in the shredded pumpkin along with milk. Cover and let the pumpkin cook until it completely softens. Keep stirring in between. Once the pumpkin softens, remove the lid and let it cook further until all the water/ moisture is dried up.
  • Add in sugar along with cardamom powder and saffron strands. Stir nicely.
  • Cook on medium while stirring until again all water is evaporated.
  • Now is the time to add the roasted nuts along with 4 tbsp of ghee.
  • Roast the halwa on medium heat until you see oil separating and halwa getting a nice sheen.
  • Turn off the flame. Serve it hot garnished with any chopped nuts of your choice. Sometimes, I also like to add some fried dried cranberries/ blueberries in the halwa. Trust me, it tastes divine.

PIN HERE FOR LATER....







Comments

  1. Never tried Kaddu ka halwa before but this looks and sounds so delicious. Loved your photographs too. I keep on looking new Navratri recipes and I think this one is perfect for that festival. Will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaddu ka halwa looks delicious and is my favourite. Though my folks don't prefer this but whenever I get a chance, I make it for myself.
    Lovely clicks Anshu. I feel like grabbing whole bowl from my screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lata, same is with me. I also make this for myself, small pleasures of life you know....

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful colored yummy halwa Anshu! I love the addition of blueberries in it as well.
    Perfect recipe for the festival season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't that look super tempting! The click also looks so festive... just apt for the coming season...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love kaddu ka halwa! I used to make it a lot! Such a perfect quick fix sweet for Diwali!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favourite halwas...perfect for the festive season!! Lovely captures of this delicious halwa...addition of blueberries is what surprised me!!. Yummy share 😋 !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely colour of kaddu ka halwa. Interesting recipe, will try this dish out as I love pumpkin and its in season right now. Adding cranberries to it is a good idea as the slight tartness would balance the sweetness from the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Nan used to make this kaddu ka halwa, as a child never liked it but now I crave for it. That shows how our taste buds changes once we grow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was not a fan of pumpkin but I don't dislike too... however I have never tried the halwa made from pumpkin...the colour looks gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely halwa and that beautiful golden color of the pumpkin renders a richness to the halwa!! we love kaddu and i too make this sweet with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.. it looks absolutely scrumptious. Love the bright yellow color and gorgeous pictures. tempts me to try soon

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a lovely idea to use pumpkin in dessert dish. The halwa looks really so delish and super simple to make. Perfect for festive time surely dear !

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my favorite. It's been a long time I made this at home. Deliciously made.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Your comments, suggestions and feedback are always welcome.

Regards

Popular posts from this blog

Best Homemade South Indian Sambar Recipe

Burani Raita Recipe | Spiced, Garlic Flavored Yogurt

Paneer Dhaniya Adraki Korma | Cottage Cheese in Coriander-Ginger Flavored Yogurt Sauce

Punjabi Kathal ki Sabzi | North Indian Dry Unripe Jackfruit Curry

Perfect Instant Homemade Bhatura Recipe | How to Make Bhatura

Instant Moong Dal Idli Recipe | How to Make Instant Moong Dal Idli

Dhaba Style Besan ki Phulki wali Kadhi